FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Frequently Asked Questions
Please find below answers to some frequently asked questions
The jet boat is a great experience for those who like excitement! This is also the recommended option for passengers concerned about possible sea-sickness.
The glass bottom tour is more leisurely and offers the opportunity for passengers to move between a covered lower deck and upper open-air deck. And, of course, there is the hugely popular magnified view through the glass portals in the ship’s hull.
Short Stay: 1.5 hours to see the Flowerpots & the cave
Medium Stay: 3 hours to see the Flowerpots, the cave, & hike the Mountain Trail
Long Stay: 4.5 hours to see the Flowerpots, the cave, the lightstation, have a picnic, & hike the Mountain Trail
There are washrooms at the main dock where you leave the boat and at the Lightkeeper’s Station.
No. There is a large section of the bottom of the boat that is glass. And the shipwrecks are easily viewed over the sides of the boats as our water is very clean and clear!
Every person stopping on Flowerpot Island is subject to National Park entry fees. These fees are remitted to Fathom Five National Marine Park and help to cover the upkeep costs of the island. Lately, they have been used to build a rain/sun shelter on the dock where you will load/unloaded, to improve the trail system all the way to light station, and to build new washrooms facilities.
The National Park Entry fee is:
No. We do not recommend strollers on Flowerpot Island.
Yes, most of our boats are wheelchair accessible. Please call ahead to get exact measurements of the wheelchair openings.
Tickets may be fully refunded up to two days prior to departure. After this time, no refund will be provided. Changes to cruise date or time also require two days notice. All cruises are weather dependent. The Blue Heron Company Limited reserves the right to cancel at any time without notice due to inclement weather conditions including but not limited to strong winds and/or thunderstorms. In the event of cancellation, pre-purchased tickets will be refunded in full.
Blue Heron Cruises works with Parks Canada to take campers to Flowerpot Island.
- Only Jet Boats transport campers with their gear.
- Campers are permitted to bring a reasonable amount of luggage aboard the Jet Boats. Excess luggage may be subject to an additional charge and will be determined on a case by case basis at the absolute discretion of Blue Heron Company staff.
- We do not transport campers to Flowerpot Island after the Monday of Labour Day Weekend.
- All campers must purchase their tickets over the phone or in person at our ticket office.
- A valid Parks Canada camping permit must be presented to our sales staff and / or boat crew. No cruise tickets will be provided without presentation of a valid camping permit.
- The National Park visitor fee and camping permit fee are NOT included in the Blue Heron Company ticket price.
- While delays in the scheduled pick-up time are rare, campers need to be prepared with sufficient food and water in the event of cancelled sailings due to poor weather conditions.
- If, due to low water levels and / or unfavourable wind conditions, passengers are not dropped at the main dock at Beachy Cove, they may be dropped at a portable dock at another location on Flowerpot Island. The portable dock locations vary. These drop-off locations may be rocky and / or uneven. These alternative drop-off locations are NOT adjacent to the camping area.
- Canoes and kayaks are not permitted on the Jet Boats.
- We reserve the right to cancel at any time.
The Blue Heron Company is a pet friendly company although we do have a specific Pet Policy in place for all pets traveling on our vessels.
- Only non-aggressive, people-friendly dogs are permitted.
- Dogs must be well behaved at all times and cannot disrupt the cruise.
- All pets travel free of charge.
- All pets are subject to Captain, Crew, and Ticket Staff discretion. We have the right to refuse any pet at any time.
- Pets must be accompanied by an adult and controlled and leashed at all time.
- Lap sized dogs (under 15lbs or 6.8kg) are allowed on all Blue Heron Company vessels.
- Both small dogs (under 15lb / 6.8kg) and larger dogs (over 15lb / 6.8kg) are allowed on our Jet Boats
- Owners are responsible for cleaning up after their pet and for any damages incurred.
PLAN YOUR TRIP
Looking for Accommodations in Tobermory?
Where can you find local whitefish?
Make your stay in Tobermory a memorable one! Visit our page to make plans for your trip to Tobermory, including links to some fantastic local businesses and some valuable local information that will make your stay perfect!
THE BRUCE PENINSULA
2 National Parks, multiple Nature Reserves, recognized as a UNESCO World Biosphere. Flowerpot Island. Shipwrecks. Tobermory is a natural paradise!
Tobermory is located at the tip of the Bruce Peninsula.