FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Frequently Asked Questions
Please find below answers to some frequently asked questions
Have you already booked your cruise?
When booking online or over the phone for regular day trips, Your tickets are attached to the confirmation that is emailed to you so when you arrive in the area, you may proceed directly to the dock on Little Tub Harbour for boarding once you have parked your vehicle.
If you will not have access to the electronic tickets on the date of sailing, you may stop at one of our ticket locations when you arrive in the area.
All cruises depart from Little Tub Harbour
Dock #1 - Blue Heron 8 & 9 - Flowerpot Island Drop Off
Dock #3 - Great Blue Heron - NonStop Scenic Cruise & Sunset Cruise
Dock #4 - Flowerpot Express - NonStop Scenic Jet Boat
All cruises begin boarding 15 minutes prior to departure.
Do you still need to book a cruise?
1. What cruise should I choose?
If you want to go hiking on Flowerpot Island, you should choose the Drop Off Tour – which will give you the option to disembark and explore the island.
If you do not want to go hiking but want to see Flowerpot Island and surrounding areas, you should choose the Non-Stop Scenic Tour options.
If you would like an evening cruise, you should choose the Sunset Cruise option which will provide you with a remarkable trip down the Georgian Bay shoreline.
When you book a drop-off cruise to Flowerpot Island, you are automatically provided a return time from the island after selecting your departure from Tobermory. This return time provides each guest approximately 3 hours on Flowerpot Island which is time enough to see the Flowerpots, complete the Mountain Trail around the island and enjoy your stay.
Every person stopping on Flowerpot Island is subject to National Park entry fees. These fees are remitted to Fathom Five National Marine Park and help to cover the upkeep costs of the island. Lately, they have been used to build a rain/sun shelter on the dock where you will load/unload, to improve the trail system all the way to the light station, and to build new washroom facilities.
This entry pass is $7.25 per person 18+ and is automatically added to your order when booking with us at Blue Heron Cruises.
No. There is a large section of the bottom of the boat that is glass, in some vessels there are two areas. And the shipwrecks are easily viewed over the sides of the boats as our water is very clean and clear! The glass bottom areas are as large as permitted by Transport Canada.
Tickets may be fully refunded up to two days prior to departure. After this time, no refund will be provided. Changes to cruise date or time also require two days notice. All cruises are weather dependent. The Blue Heron Company Limited reserves the right to cancel at any time without notice due to inclement weather conditions including but not limited to strong winds and/or thunderstorms. In the event of cancellation, pre-purchased tickets will be refunded in full.
The Blue Heron Company is a pet-friendly company although we do have a specific Pet Policy in place for all pets traveling on our vessels.
- Only non-aggressive, people-friendly dogs are permitted.
- Dogs must be well behaved at all times and cannot disrupt the cruise.
- All pets travel free of charge.
- All pets are subject to Captain, Crew, and Ticket Staff discretion. We have the right to refuse any pet at any time.
- Pets must be accompanied by an adult and controlled and leashed at all times.
- Both small dogs and large dogs are allowed on our glass bottom boats. They must remain on the top deck or back deck of all boats. No dogs are allowed in the main cabin or on the bow of the boat.
- Owners are responsible for cleaning up after their pet and for any damages incurred.
Blue Heron Cruises works with Parks Canada to take campers to Flowerpot Island.
- Campers are permitted to bring a reasonable amount of luggage aboard the boat. Excess luggage may be subject to an additional charge and will be determined on a case-by-case basis at the absolute discretion of Blue Heron Company staff.
- All campers must purchase their tickets over the phone or in-person at our ticket office.
- A waiver must be signed at the time of ticket pick up agreeing to policy details and providing additional contact details.
- A valid Parks Canada camping permit must be presented to our sales staff and/or boat crew. No cruise tickets will be provided without the presentation of a valid camping permit.
- The National Park visitor fee and camping permit fee are NOT included in the Blue Heron Company ticket price.
- While delays in the scheduled pick-up time are rare, campers need to be prepared with sufficient food and water in the event of canceled sailings due to poor weather conditions.
- If, due to low water levels and / or unfavorable wind conditions, passengers are not dropped at the main dock at Beachy Cove, they may be dropped at a portable dock at another location on Flowerpot Island. The portable dock locations vary. These drop-off locations may be rocky and / or uneven. These alternative drop-off locations are NOT adjacent to the camping area.
- Canoes and kayaks are not permitted on the boats.
- We reserve the right to cancel at any time.
Yes, most of our boats are wheelchair accessible. Please call ahead to get exact measurements of the wheelchair openings.
Flowerpot Island is not accessible. We do not recommend strollers or mobility devises on the island.
There are snacks for sale at the Flowerpot Island Light Station, which is about a 45 minute walk from the dock where you will disembark. They only accept cash payments for these snacks. These snacks are primarily available in July and August and is by chance only in the off season. Inventory is not guaranteed.
We recommend that you take your own snacks and drinks to ensure that you have something for your stay.
Please remember that Flowerpot Island is part of Fathom Five National Marine Park and we kindly ask that everyone takes their own garbage off the island. Please do not litter.
There are washrooms at the main dock where you leave the boat and at the Lightkeeper’s Station.